Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Liars!

The last poll brings me to an interesting idea and question. Do you lie when you vote? Don't take the question too personally, otherwise you'll miss the point that I'm trying to make. Do you think that 70% people actually "smile and say hello" when they approach someone or just wish that they would? I have no problems saying that I generally avoid eye contact with most people as I'm walking to and from my classes--most of the time because I have my face stuffed in some book--but really, I just don't generally smile and talk to people I don't know as I'm walking about. I don't consider myself an introvert, either. It just isn't the best time in the world to start having a conversation. Don't get any wrong ideas about this. I don't shun people I don't know and I do, on occasion, smile and greet people as I'm walking around. Just not most of the time.

So, the main point is do people vote the actual truth or the idealized truth? I tend to think the latter at times. What do you think?

2 comments:

Lucas said...

Bro, in my experience, when it comes to any aspect of describing anything to do with ourselves, most people vote, talk, walk and in any other way describe their 'Ideal Self' as opposed to who or what they actually are in reality. It is the same point illustrated by the 'digital self image' concept in the matrix. It might be a trite example, but it fits the conversation well and that is why I use it. In real life, neo was bald, wore shoddy clothes and had connection points all over his body. When he was in the construct, he was good looking, well dressed and lacking any obvious physical abnormality.

I would say most of us are often blinded by the person we wish we were. I would put it at a very small percent of people who are dreadfully honest with themselves in everything they do, especially when it comes to the gap between who they are and who they want to be.

Rudy said...

I'm actually wondering if this Wii poll thing is accurate or not. With results like this, who knows if Nintendo has a random vote generator running.